This recipe can be adjusted to make more or less beans, keeping in mind the size of your pot and the beans will expand when cooked.
2 cups (500g) beans
8 cups (2 litres) water
1. Rinse beans well in colander.
2. Add beans into a large pot with 4 cups of water for every 1 cup of beans.
3. Bring the water just to the boil. Turn off the heat and put on lid. Allow to sit overnight or at least 8 hours.
4. Rinse the beans in a colander and then pour back into the pot. Cover the beans with water, swish around with your hands and then remove water. Repeat this process two more times to completely rinse.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for a second soak. The second soak is optional but highly recommended to remove as much of the enzymes that cause gas as possible.
6. Place soaked beans in a slow cooker or large pot, add water so it covers at least 2 inches over beans.
7. Cook the beans in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or in a pot bringing to a very low simmer and cooking for 45 mins to 2 hours depending on how well cooked you like.
8. Once the beans are done drain and rinse, then measure into 2 cup portions to use immediately or freeze. This recipe makes 3 x 2 cup portions.